established  
     
     
  THE FORTRESS IS ESTABLISHED  
 

Return to home-page

 
 

Return to "The history of the fortress"

 
   
     
 

While upgrading the Danish Navy to reach NATO standards after the Second World War, it was decided to establish two coastal fortifications. The Stevnsfort was to control the southern reaches of the Øresund, whereas the Langelandsfort should control the Langelandsbelt. For this purpose, the estate “Holmegard” with about 90 ha was purchased. The available buildings were rebuilt into barracks. The buildings service of the Danish armed services was responsible for overall planning.

 
     
 

In case of war, the fort would have two duties:

·        
To prevent alien fleet units from entering the Belt;
·      
To protect the Danish minefields in the southern part of the Great Belt.

Fourteen large buildings were erected from reinforced concrete, together with:

·         4 gun-emplacements with crew accommodation and munitions rooms;
·         2 bunkers with diesel generators to provide emergency electricity;
·         1 command bunker and 1 fire-direction bunker;
·         6 anti-aircraft-artillery- and close-range defence batteries, each with a fire-direction tower and personnel- and munitions
      storage bunkers;
·         1 advanced fire-direction bunker on the coast to the east of the fort.

 
     
 

The munitions-stores and –transport roads were protected against fire, the command- and control bunkers were protected against gas. All vital installations were secured for explosions and alarm installations were installed in the machinery bunkers in case of radioactive radiation. All the bunkers had armour plated doors and their entrances were equipped with machine guns for close-range protection. Although the construction work was not finished until August 1854, the fort was commissioned in September 1953.

A brochure has been published to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the fortress. As it contains many photos of the construction, it is published here.

 
     
     
  http://www.langelandsfortet.dk/SKIBE/FORTET/(34).jpg  
 

Anniversary brochure (open in a new vindow)

 
     
  Extract from the biography of the former head of the constructions-department at the Ministry of Defence, Gerner Gottschalck-Andersens.  
     
 

The first spadeful of earth for the construction of Langelandsfortress was turned by admiral Dahl, Count Kaj Ahlefeldt-Lauervig and engineer Lehrmann; the count had invited the admiral as well as the members of his staff to stay at Tranekær castle. “During the last 300 years, nothing of a military nature has ever happened on Langeland without the presence of my family” he informed the admiral.

The admiral saw to it very closely that the fortress was built according to the latest safety standards. After the terrible disaster on-board the British battleship HMS Hood, the munitions storage bunkers and transportation roads were secured against fire. The munitions elevators of the four open air artillery-positions were secured by means of former German cast-iron armour plating with a thickness of 30 cm.

 
     
     
 

Fotos fra kasernebygningernes om- og nybygning.

 
     
   
 

Click on a photo to enlarge it.

 
     
     
  http://www.langelandsfortet.dk/SKIBE/FORTET/Kort%20over%20fortet.jpg  
     
     
 

To the top